Once you have a custom domain or website, you are tempted to have a email address with the website’s domain name. The easiest option to have it is by signing up for a free Google Apps for Business account. This free service was started 7 years ago and provided Gmail, Calendar, Docs and file storage for businesses.
Until now you can sign up for a free account as an individual or pay a few pounds per month for a business account. But bad news for Google Apps users who are using it free till now. On Thursday, Google Enterprise blog confirmed that the company is not going to entertain anymore free accounts further.
Google has envisaged that the demand for more features from its business customers is the main reason to dump the free version. This version was generally used by individuals and small businesses with 10 or fewer users. According to Director of Product Management, Google Apps, he cited the following reasons for taking aback the free version.
When we launched the premium business version we kept our free, basic version as well. Both businesses and individuals signed up for this version, but time has shown that in practice, the experience isn’t quite right for either group. Businesses quickly outgrow the basic version and want things like 24/7 customer support and larger inboxes. Similarly, consumers often have to wait to get new features while we make them business-ready.
But there is a small concession. If you have signed up for a free account before Dec 6, 2012 your account will stay free. Now there are two options for Google Apps users. Apps for Business with or without Vault. If you try Google Apps for Business without Vault you need to pay $5 per user per month, up to $50 per user per year. This gives you e-mail archiving and control over multiple e-mail accounts. But if you want Vault it costs $10 per user per month. However, the Standard and Education Editions will continued to be offered free.
How to Get Free Google Apps Account for Single User ?
There is still some hope if you want to get Google Apps account for free. The following step-by-steps will make clear on how to obtain it.
- Login to your personal Google account at http://appengine.google.com/.
- Verify your account with phone number.
- After verification, you will see the screen to create an application. Just get any name and fill in the textbox.
- Then you will see your application registered successfully. Go to Dashboard -> Application Settings, find the Domain Setup section like the screenshot below, choose Add Domain.
- On the next step, don’t care about the left side. Read the Note and you will see the link to Sign up for Google Apps Standard.
- Now, you will see the page to setup your account. Just fill in appropriate information to create a Google Apps account for free.
The above details should be clear if you see the actual screen. But beware that you have to follow the exact steps as mentioned above. If you want more clear instructions and screenshots, you can visit this link here.