Recently Microsoft released the Service Pack 2 update for Office 2010. I earlier wrote an article giving manual links to download this update. Most of the times running Windows update is sufficient enough to renew your 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office 2010 with this KB2687455 update. But sometimes you may face problems in installing this update and I’m here to help in such a scenario.
Read More : Extend Office 2010 Free Trial
If you are on Windows XP and failed to do this update, you can do a few things before doing the last solution. You can apply the Microsoft Automatic Fix (Mr.Fix) for Office products upgrade. One user found 4 registry commands to implement in fixing this problem in the concerned knowledge article. Suppose the KB2687455 update fails then you can follow this process.
- Download the Office 2010 SP2 update manually from the Microsoft page. Links are already given in my earlier post.
- Check whether you are running 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office 2010. Here is the link to check.
- Try updating in a clean boot state. What is “clean boot”? In order to troubleshoot error messages and other issues you can start your Windows OS (Vista/7/8) by using minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This type of startup is known as “clean boot”. Here is a link on how to do it.
- Office updates sometimes can fail if the update files are looking for the original installation source files of the Office Product. Downloading the full installation file and the updates can solve some problems. You can also put the installation source files on the installation drive or network source where the update tries to search.
Ultimate Solution to all Problems of Office 2010 SP2 UPDATE Installation:
If everything else fails it is better to perform a repair install. After researching several problems on the forums, blogs and microsoft support groups, I find this solution clearing most of the Office 2010 SP2 installation problems.
Sometimes Intel Express chipset drive updates can interfere with Office 2010 SP2 update. Better install your Office update without the Intel chipset update.
Sometimes you may have problems with Language settings. You administrative account language settings may be in other language then English. Changing temporarily to English and then updating may solve the problem.
Sometimes deleting your MSOCache can cause these problems. Using the installation media in this case to find the MSOCache files may sometimes not work with Office 2010 SP2. So its better to retain the MSOCache after installing MS Office. This is generally advised in many threads and forums.
How to Perform a Repair Install ?
This is very easy.
- Goto Control Panel > Programs and Features. (View by small icons)
- Find and Select your Office 2010 product.
- Right-click and from the context menu select “Change”. You can also click the same label at the top. This will pop-up the following window.
- Select “Repair” and click the Continue button.
- During the process it may ask the location of some source files present on Office 2010 installation media.
- When finished, reboot your machine.
That should complete the repair process. You are done!
There are also some known issues detailed by Microsoft when you install Office 2010 SP2 and Sharepoint 2010 SP2. The solutions to these issues are detailed in this article.
Some Other Office 2010 SP2 Update Problems (KB2687455) are listed below from Microsoft forums, blogs and communities.
Service Pack 2 KB2687455 due to failure code 80070643. Automatic Trouble Shooter unable to fix problem. Suggestions?
Microsoft Windows Update failed Error Code: 0xB56 for Office 2010 Service Pack 2 for
i already downloaded the update, but it does not want to complete the installation, keep on getting error 8024002D please help!
I can’t download the update either, I keep getting error code 80070652. I have tried over 20 times to download this update. PLEASE HELP !!!
I also have a Windows 7, 64 bit machine. My original installation was without SP1 which had been added by Windows Update. I used a 2010 plus SP1 version and ran the .exe when it came to the question of what was needed I selected Repair. After this was complete I then retried the Windows Update to update to SP2. This worked.
When I try to activate the suite using any of the installed applications (word, excel, outlook or powepoint) I get the error “An unspecified error has occurred. Your request cannot be processed at this time. Please try again later. (0x80070190)”. If I repair the install then try the activation again it works right away.
When I went and ran the install, I got the dialog box as shown in Picture #2. For reference, the full path to where the file “ProPlusWW.msi” is suppose to be is
I have no idea what “SingleImageWW.msi” is..
Sources : answers.microsoft.com, social.technet.windows.microsoft.com, dslreports.com
In conclusion, I’d like to deduce from reading all the above forums and threads that “repair install of Office 2010″ will maximum solve your SP2 update problems. Sometimes you need to have your source for the Office 2010 installation media.
If you still face any problem relating to Office 2010 SP2 update (KB2687455 failing), please let me know in the comments. I spent almost half-a-day researching this topic, so sharing this post and images on your social network would be useful. You can also subscribe to my Feedburner Feed or Mailchimp Weekly Newsletter.
Latest posts by Palla Sridhar (see all)
- Windows 10 vs Windows 8.1 – Improvements that make a Difference - February 15, 2015
- Keyword Analysis using SEMrush, GA and GKP - January 27, 2015
- [Tutorial] How-To Transfer Files from Android To PC – 3 Simple Ways - January 17, 2015