You might have reserved your copy of Windows 10, using the “Get Windows 10 App”. It is released in 190 countries world-wide. Microsoft goal is to upgrade 1 billion devices with Windows 10 operating system. Once you have reserved your copy of Win 10, it will silently download in the background. The file size may vary between 3GB to 6GB. Then you will get a notification, whether you like to install the OS. But here is the catch!
All devices are not going to get the download at the same time on July 29th, 2015. The upgrade is rolling out in phases to manage the high demand on release date. First of all, TechNet and Windows Insider users will have the first taste of Windows 10. Then incrementally, other users worldwide, are pushed this free update. Microsoft has reserved upto 40Tb/s bandwidth for this occasion. But if you can’t wait and want to force download Windows 10 on your computer, without waiting here is a tweak or hack.
[Image Source : Redmondpie.com]
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 without Waiting, after July 29th, 2015?
This is a six step process, first mentioned on a Reddit post. You either need to have Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update for this hack to work.
- Go To the following folder on your Windows drive. Generally it’ll be C: , but your drive letter may be different. “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download“. Then delete all the files.
- Using the search feature or pressing the Win+S on Windows 8.1, type “Windows Update”. This would open the standard Windows Update. You can also navigate using the Control Panel.
- Now open an elevated command prompt or type “cmd” in Run box or Search and open with administrative privileges, by right clicking the option and selecting “Run as Administrator”.
- Now in this elevated command prompt, type “wuauclt.exe /updatenow“, but do not press Enter.
- Now go back to the previously opened Windows Update window and click on “Check for updates” option. Once clicked, Windows will show the message “Checking for Updates”.
- Now go back to the command prompt box and press enter. Now you would see in the Windows Update window that Windows 10 is downloading.
[Image Source: googlereader.com]
If you are on a limited bandwidth, then downloading 6GB can be a problem. So beware of your monthly budget.
This YouTube video is demonstration of the hack or tweak mentioned above for downloading Windows 10 without waiting in queue.
Note: It is recommended to take a system image of your current Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 OS, in order to prevent any miss-happening. This will back up all the important system files and folder present on your Windows drive. If anything fails, you can restore back to your original OS.
How to Download Windows 10 Directly from Microsoft and Upgrade without Waiting?
This is second method of upgrading your computer OS to Windows 10 without waiting for Microsoft notifying you through “Get Windows 10 App“.
Visit this Microsoft page.
On that page, you have a button that says – Download Tool Now. You have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of this tool. This is of size 18MB approx. Once this is downloaded and run, you will get a message screen. This will give you the option to upgrade your current OS or download Windows 10 to a media device like USB or DVD.
This YouTube video shows “how to download Windows 10 without waiting for Microsoft to notify you”. Here you will get instructions to get direct download links to upgrade or download to a media like USB or DVD.
You might want to check whether your Windows 10 is downloading or not? Otherwise whether the above tweaks are working or not? For this you can check the following folder – C:\$windows.~BT . This folder is generally hidden. So you can go to your File Explorer or Windows Explorer and check the size o
Are you able to upgrade using any of these two hacks? Do you have any problems implementing these tweaks? How much time does it take to upgrade? Do you like the features of the new Windows 10? Please comment in the section below.